The Wrapper Project

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Wed Jul 10 15:49:17 MDT 2013

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 22:15:36 Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 04:35:10PM +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > I have removed nss_wrapper, socket_wrapper and uid_wrapper from the Samba
> > source code for now. I want to maintain and improve them outside of the
> > Samba tree.
>
> I am fine with removing them from the Samba tree proper. I think this
> is not required for normal production use. If we remove them from Samba
> I would prefer to have those wrappers under the same policy for pushing
> to them as Samba right now has -- meaning that we can add fixes under
> our review rule while you're on vacation :-)

I'm totally fine with that as soon as they are in a state which I would
consider useable on several platforms and correctly implemented. To make clear
what is missing here is my TODO list:

socket_wrapper:
* Get it working on all major supported platforms (BSD, Solaris, MacOSX)
* Improve the testsuite
  - write a simple udp server to run tests against
  - write a simple tcp server to run tests against
  - write test using threads

nss_wrapper:
* Get it working on all major supported platforms (BSD, Solaris, MacOSX)
* Add tests with threads
* Improve hosts support (getaddrinfo, gethostbyname, ...)

uid_wrapper:
* Get it working on all major supported platforms (BSD, Solaris, MacOSX)
* Fix the code to be correct and consistent
* Make it thread safe
  - the normal function need to share the state between threads
  - the syscalls need to be threadsafe

* Start to create good and detailed documention
* Write and article for LWN

	-- andreas