[Samba] Samba Domain Rename

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 3 16:23:34 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 20:07 +0200, Denis Cardon wrote:
> Hi Sandeep,
>
> > Changing a domain name, even in an all-Microsoft Windows server
> > environment, is strongly discouraged, at least on the user mailing
> > lists I am on. Better would be to use the domain migration tools, and
> > migrate to a newly named domain.
>
> I had recently to migrate a windows 2003 domaine from a short dns domain
> name media1 to standard dns name media1.local before migrating to a
> samba4 domain. There are actually some microsoft tool to do the
> migration, but it is far from trivial. I don't know if there are
> anything in samba4 to do the same thing though, and probably the method
> outlined by Michael might still be the best one.

Indeed, renaming a domain breaks all the base assumptions in AD.

Samba 4.0 as an AD DC has no code to support this, if it works with the
Microsoft tool that was used in your situation it would be a miracle,
but just occasionally we find this stuff just happens to work because
the hard work is in the client tool, not the DC.