[Samba] Samba Domain Rename

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Tue Jul 2 12:07:25 MDT 2013

Hi Sandeep,

> Changing a domain name, even in an all-Microsoft Windows server
> environment, is strongly discouraged, at least on the user mailing
> lists I am on. Better would be to use the domain migration tools, and
> migrate to a newly named domain.

I had recently to migrate a windows 2003 domaine from a short dns domain
name media1 to standard dns name media1.local before migrating to a
samba4 domain. There are actually some microsoft tool to do the
migration, but it is far from trivial. I don't know if there are
anything in samba4 to do the same thing though, and probably the method
outlined by Michael might still be the best one.

Cheers,

Denis