Problems setting up (fresh) Samba 4 installation

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Thu Jan 3 12:21:50 MST 2013

On 03/01/13 18:49, Mark Pilant wrote:
> Hi Rowland.
>
>> Er, how can you forward the dns server to itself?
> Well, that isn't how I read the (*very little*) information in the HOWTO.
> I read it as
> the address the Samba internal DNS server would use if the address could
> not be
> resolved.

In smb.conf, you need to have the line 'dns forwarder = <a good external
dns server ip address>'
For instance 'dns forwarder = 208.67.222.222', this is the nameserver
that all unknown requests are sent to. It is the internal dns server
that forwards requests, not /etc/resolv.conf.

> In this case, it would be forwarded to the host, which if not resolved
> there would be
> forwarded to a gateway on the network.  So this means /etc/resolv.conf
> really has
> two entries.  One for the host (primary) and the other for the gateway
> (secondary).
You should only have one nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf and should point
to samba 4 server
i.e. 'nameserver 127.0.0.1'

> Addresses part of the domain I'm trying to create would be resolved by the
> host
> and addresses which could not be resolved would get forwarded to the
> gateway.

This will not work

> None of the zone files have any forwarders declared.

All the zone files are created by the internal dns server and you cannot
easily alter them, nor do you need to.

> It also appeared this would aid the situation so the SRV records would be
> added
> to the host and not another DNS server on the network.  (Again, not a lot
> of infor
> in the HOWTO.)
>
>> You haven't installed a separate kerberos server...
> I haven't installed any Kerberos server as yet.

Good , don't  install one, you will use the one built into Samba 4.0.0

Rowland

believed to be clean.