Problems setting up (fresh) Samba 4 installation

Mark Pilant lpilant at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 3 12:30:20 MST 2013

One more possible issue/suspect.

I was reading the HOWTO (yet) again to see what information there is about
what features need to be present at build time as well as run time.
Unfortunately, there is very little, and what is there wasn't too helpful.

Given what I'm seeing, I'm wondering if (some of) my problems stem from not
having Bind and Kerberos installed on the system when Samba was compiled.
Following on this, whether or not there are problems running Samba if Bind
and Kerberos are not installed on the system.

Another way of looking at this is: does building and running Samba *assume*
the system is a fully configured server with Bind/Kerberos/??? installed,
configured, and available for use?

- Mark