Problems setting up (fresh) Samba 4 installation

Bob Cavey wedgeshot at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 10:54:37 MST 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Mark Pilant <lpilant at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob.
>
> > looking through your output I saw 192.168.122.1 ( makes me want to say
> KVM virt might be involved in your troubles )

Sorry, should have been more clear about your RHEL instance. Unless you
explicitly review and uncheck the virtualization packages on standard
RedHat installs you get those packages.  I'm just saying......  on a fresh
install a few months ago DNS was not working on my newly provisioned Samba
install; after un-installing all libvirt and dnsmasq packages everything
was fine from that point on in regards to DNS. Samba was trying to use the
.122.1 address which being used by the dnsmasq server for any KVM vm
instances.

> As I'm running RHEL in a VM, the 192.168.122.1 address is assigned to the
> virbr0 interface.

   Exactly..... you don't need a virbr0 interface on your RHEL VM instance
as you are already virtualized.  The address on your RHEL eth0 should be
the IP used for DNS.