Single binary to rule them all!

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Feb 22 12:20:58 MST 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:18:08AM +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> The last little bug fix in source4/nbt_server and source4/wrepl_server
> were done 3 years ago:
> Before there were some bug fixes in 2008.

Yes, but if it's not doing network browsing then that
code is actually not often used, so it's no surprise
there weren't many bug fixes needed.

> And this code runs as 'samba4wins' product
> (http://www.enterprisesamba.org/samba4wins/)
> without any problems since then.
>
> > Personally I'd rather move the few missing nbt parts into nmbd
> > and leave it as a separate daemon than try and work out all
> > the bugs again in a 'new and clean' codebase :-).
>
> For AD DC's with replicate the AD-LDAP tree, it would be bad to rely
> on a single 'nmbd' as wins server in the whole domain. We really
> want wins replication in that case.
>
> I think it's harder to implement wins replication into nmbd
> than to add network browsing to the nbt service.

I disagree. But then again I wrote a lot of the network
browsing code myself so I know how hard that is was :-).

You wrote the wins replication code so it's not surprising
that you have the opposing opinion :-).

> We may want to just recomment 'nmbd' for member servers and
> use the 'nbt' service for AD DC's (as we currently do)
> and wait for netbios to finally die completely.

Yeah, that might be the best strategy. Die, zombie, Die !!! :-).

Jeremy.