Single binary to rule them all!

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Feb 18 21:50:56 MST 2013

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:41 AM, Ricky Nance wrote:
> Christopher, I think you are missing what I am trying to accomplish
> here, right now if 'server role = active_directory_domain_controller'
> all the s4 stuff is spawned (including smbd if you have the s3fs file
> server backend running, which is default). I am simply proposing that
> we shutdown all S4 related things if we only want a fileserver, or a
> nt4 style pdc, or member server, or..., then tell samba to run only
> the binaries needed (as it does now with s3fs and smbd). I am not
> wanting to start conflicts with other services within samba, but
> rather keep the conflicts from happening and hopefully gain some more
> popularity with the package maintainers, along with having a single
> init script (instead of multiple inits one for AD DC and one for
> 'other' or having to modify it). I think the devs understand the
> problem and likely have a good solution in mind already, I am simply
> asking for some documentation to be made defining 'what is a role'.

And updated docs that detail how samba4 now works would be nice so that
stuff like the below don't become 'canonical'.

http://www.mentby.com/Group/samba-technical/samba4-nmbdsmbdwinbindd.html

I do have a fair idea of what you are trying to accomplish. It's the
model that postfix uses with a master daemon. Just that I have been
looking at outdated information.