mutexed tdb benchmarks

Mon Feb 18 14:52:05 MST 2013

Hi!

Just to give you some very early, a bit hacked-up
results....

vlendec at sn-devel-104:~/git/scratch/lib/tdb$ time bin/tdbtorture -n 250 -l 2000 -s 1 -H 1000
Testing with 250 processes, 2000 loops, 1000 hash_size, seed=1
OK
real    0m40.764s
user    0m1.800s
sys     14m41.140s
vlendec at sn-devel-104:~/git/scratch/lib/tdb$ time bin/tdbtorture -n 250 -l 2000 -s 1 -H 1000 -m
Testing with 250 processes, 2000 loops, 1000 hash_size, seed=1
OK
real    0m1.995s
user    0m2.520s
sys     0m17.140s

This is with my private tdb-branch. If you take a look you
will see that I've commented out anything related to
transactions and traverse which still take out fcntl locks.
Both work, but the result is a bit less impressive :-)

This should a good picture of what we can achieve for
locking.tdb and others where in practice we don't do
transactions or traverses.

So if someone is out for a puzzle: If you look in mutex.c,
the fake I have to use at this moment is to store the
mutexes in a separate file. I'm not sure mmap()ing the mutex
area that lives inside the tdb file a second time together
with the normal tdb area is actually a good idea. I would
like to keep up the single file, but maybe the mutex and
data areas need to be split so that both mmap areas don't
overlap. More testing pending.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de