DNS problems

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 8 15:48:46 MST 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-08 at 18:29 -0200, Ricardo Berlim Fonseca wrote:
> Hello people,
> I'm a little lost about this DNS with samba4 and how theyh will work
> together.
> In my enviroment, I'm trying to put a samba4 domain up with my pre-existing
> dns server running on. My doubt is: All my dns resolutions must be made in
> the samba4 server? My dhcp (witch is on the same server as the DNS) must
> inform my machines that the DNS on the network is the one on samba4? And
> how I get my already configured dns zones into samba4 dns or better, how I
> make my samba4 server forward this requisitions to my existing dns server?

One option, if your existing DNS server is BIND, is to specify a zone of
type 'forward' pointing at your Samba AD DC.

Otherwise, you can point your clients at the DNS server on the Samba AD
DC, and use either the default internal server, or bind9_dlz.  The dns
forwarder for the internal server (for zones we are not authoritative
for) is specified with 'dns forwarder' in smb.conf.  Be aware however
that we do not currently handle large DNS replies in our forwarder code
in the internal server right now.  (This isn't an issue with bind9_dlz
because that just uses the BIND code and configuration).

I hope this clarifies things,