ubuntu and samba4

David Feurle david.feurle at sodgeit.de
Tue Feb 5 04:35:34 MST 2013

 Am Dienstag, 05. Februar 2013 10:19 CET, Andreas Schneider <asn at samba.org> schrieb:

> On Sunday 03 February 2013 23:35:47 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-02-03 at 13:04 +0100, David Feurle wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I want to use samba4 and winbind in Ubuntu 12.04.
> > > Up to now (during beta and rc phase) I was  compiling samba4 myself. It
> > > worked so far - my only concern are security updates. I would therefore
> > > prefer a binary packet. I found some ppa's with samba4 (up to
> > > samba4.0.2). All these ppa's seem to don't provide libwbclient1. This
> > > prevents samba4/winbind4 from working correctly as the samba4 packet
> > > pulls libwbclient in version 3.4.1 - which does not seem to be
> > > compatible with samba4.
> > > For example when issuing samba --version the folling error gets displayed:
> > >
> > > feurleda at niobe:~/soho-box/samba4-install$ samba --version
> > > samba: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwbclient.so.0: no version
> > > information available (required by
> > > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/libauth4.so)
> > > Version 4.0.2
> > >
> > > There was a discussion some time ago on this mailinglist about how to
> > > implement a debian packet for samba4. Does the debian packet provide a
> > > recent libwbclient? Is this bug as well present in debian sid?
> >
> > I didn't get any further with my 'complete' debian package, and nobody
> > has taken it on yet, as far as I know.  The ubuntu package isn't the
> > same as what we provide in the tarball - it does not provide 'smbd' for
> > example, and I'm not supprised by the other challenges.
> >
> > This happens because (quite reasonably) the package does not
> > provide/replace parts that would overlap Samba 3.6 that exists in the
> > main distribution.  Sadly that means it isn't a complete package.
>
> If you have samba and samba4 and need libwbclient in samba4 you can build it
> as a internal library.
>
> ./configure --private-libraries=wbclient
>
> Then you need to filter out the libsmbclient.so.0() symbol from the provides
> and requires.
>

> This is at least how I do it in RHEL6. So you can install samba and samba4-
> libs in paralell.
>

> 	-- andreas

To be honest I don't fully understand what private libraries are. Does this mean that wbclient gets compiled to a different so-name and loaded via it's rdpath?

Is libwbclient from samba4 backward compatible to the one provided by samba3.6?
If so shouldn't the packet provide a new libwbclient1 and replace the one from 3.6. The provides and requires of the deb packet should require the new libwbclient and old programms linked against libwbclient from samba 3.6 would run with the new wbclientlib from samba4.

 Best regards,

David