ubuntu and samba4

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Tue Feb 5 02:19:05 MST 2013

On Sunday 03 February 2013 23:35:47 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-02-03 at 13:04 +0100, David Feurle wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to use samba4 and winbind in Ubuntu 12.04.
> > Up to now (during beta and rc phase) I was  compiling samba4 myself. It
> > worked so far - my only concern are security updates. I would therefore
> > prefer a binary packet. I found some ppa's with samba4 (up to
> > samba4.0.2). All these ppa's seem to don't provide libwbclient1. This
> > prevents samba4/winbind4 from working correctly as the samba4 packet
> > pulls libwbclient in version 3.4.1 - which does not seem to be
> > compatible with samba4.
> > For example when issuing samba --version the folling error gets displayed:
> >
> > feurleda at niobe:~/soho-box/samba4-install$ samba --version
> > samba: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwbclient.so.0: no version
> > information available (required by
> > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/libauth4.so)
> > Version 4.0.2
> >
> > There was a discussion some time ago on this mailinglist about how to
> > implement a debian packet for samba4. Does the debian packet provide a
> > recent libwbclient? Is this bug as well present in debian sid?
>
> I didn't get any further with my 'complete' debian package, and nobody
> has taken it on yet, as far as I know.  The ubuntu package isn't the
> same as what we provide in the tarball - it does not provide 'smbd' for
> example, and I'm not supprised by the other challenges.
>
> This happens because (quite reasonably) the package does not
> provide/replace parts that would overlap Samba 3.6 that exists in the
> main distribution.  Sadly that means it isn't a complete package.

If you have samba and samba4 and need libwbclient in samba4 you can build it
as a internal library.

./configure --private-libraries=wbclient

Then you need to filter out the libsmbclient.so.0() symbol from the provides
and requires.

This is at least how I do it in RHEL6. So you can install samba and samba4-
libs in paralell.

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org