Samba 4 internal DNS question

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Feb 4 14:10:24 MST 2013

Hello,

Am 04.02.2013 16:38, schrieb Mark Pilant:
> What is the best way to dump out all of the DNS entries from Samba's
> internal DNS server?

I use bind and not the internal DNS. You can try a zone transfer:

# dig @AD-Controller samba.domain. AXFR

After I tried that against my samba DC I wondered, that every host can start a
zone transfer. On all my other zones I have configured, that transfers are
only allowed from slave servers.

I tried adding "allow-transfer { 192.168.29.4; };" to
/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf, that was generated during provision. But
then named don't start any more.

Is there a special reason that everyone have to be able to start a zone
transfer against the samba domain?

Wouldn't it be better for security reasons to disable zone transfers per default?

Regards,
Marc