Wiki docs cause a failure - samba-tool

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 04:48:22 MST 2013

On 26/12/13 22:16, Leeman Strout wrote:
> I've been banging on migrating my personal Samba3 domain to Samba4 AD
> and came across an issue while trying to deal with GPOs.
>
> The client logging instructions here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Client_specific_Log
>
> Causes samba-tool to die with a not too helpful output:
>
> server ~ # samba-tool testparm
> ERROR: Unable to load default file
>
> There's also a stack of commands where that issue exception is un-caught.
>

> I don't know if this is a bug or just a documentation error in the
> wiki so I'm throwing it out here first.
>
> This is samba-4.1.3 on gentoo.
>

> Thanks,
> Leeman

Hi, the problem here is that you are using something that was written
for S3, it should work, but unfortunately you have run into the S4
problem of '%' redirects i.e. they do not work.
Try changing the 'include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.client-%I' line in
smb.conf to 'include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.client-<ipaddress>' ,
changing <ipaddress> for the ipaddress you used in the symlink. I am
sure that it will now work.

Rowland