Some deficiencies with the Samba VFS that I think need to e rectified ...

Wed Dec 11 09:17:00 MST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 07:09:44AM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Volker Lendecke
> <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 02:33:52PM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >> 2. We are stitching together directories on different systems
> >> separated by a WAN and need access to things like ACCESS_MASK and
> >> SHARE_MODE in functions like SMB_VFS_MKDIR and some others but it is
> >> not currently available, which constrains us mightily.
> >
> > This sounds like a cifs-proxy like thing. Or is it a file
> > system that supports share modes and a "full" createfile
> > call?
>
> Never go full createfile :-)
>
> In some sense it is a distributed file system that is starting to
> support many of the required Windows semantics. See my email about the
> usefulness of SHARING_VIOLATION from a couple of days ago as well.

At least we are supposed to do an flock call that has the
share mode parameters. That's what we are using with some
proprietary cluster file system that has a set_share call
which is compatible with NFSv4. NFSv4 share modes have their
flaws and Samba integration might not be great due to
semantic differences, but that does the job. Wouldn't that
at least partially help you? See source3/smbd/open.c lines
2678ff.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de