Samba4 Internal DNS Forwarding

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Wed Dec 4 15:31:28 MST 2013

On 04/12/13 23:07, Andrew LaPierre wrote:

Hi Andrew,

> I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing, am I expecting the wrong
> behavior?  I'm expecting it to check my dns forwarder for an entry if
> samba's internal dns doesn't know how to resolve something, it's like it's
> taken full ownership of mydomain.com and won't even bother passing it on.

Assuming mydomain.com is your AD domain as well, yes, you're expecting
the wrong behaviour. The forwarder is checked only for domains the samba
DNS isn't authoritative for, not on every NXDOMAIN reply. So you need to
add the A record for www.mydomain.com to your AD dns records.

Hope this helps,
Kai

--