Samba4 Internal DNS Forwarding

Andrew LaPierre alapierre at gccsda.com
Wed Dec 4 15:07:25 MST 2013

I'm running Samba 4.2.0pre1 and I can't seem to get my samba dns to forward
properly.
I'm using the internal dns for Samba.

IP of my Samba4 server - 192.168.1.11
IP of my DNS server - 192.168.1.1

In my smb.conf file, I have dns forwarder = 192.168.1.1 (My firewall and
local DNS server).
On that server I have various records, such as, www.mydomain.com which
points to 192.168.10.9.

>From my Samba4 server, if I try to ping mydomain.com I get replies from
192.168.1.11 (itself).
If I ping www.mydomain.com, I get "unknown host www.mydomain.com", I expect
replies from 192.168.10.9

I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing, am I expecting the wrong
behavior?  I'm expecting it to check my dns forwarder for an entry if
samba's internal dns doesn't know how to resolve something, it's like it's
taken full ownership of mydomain.com and won't even bother passing it on.

Thank you for your advice.

--
Andrew LaPierre