Write a fuse fs using samba 4 functions.

Sun Aug 25 02:45:17 MDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 11:45:46AM +0200, Stef Bon wrote:
> I've found the README in
>
> source4/libcli/smbc
>
> saying:
>
> This is where the new samba4 libsmbclient will live.
>
> Can I conclude now that the client functions for version 4 are not ready yet?
>

> BTW
>
> I'm specially interested in the handling of the notify call, which has
> to be async. I've seen that the call is added in the smbclient command
> line, but there it's still handled sync, which will be not news to
> you.

The client libraries are a bit spread around at this moment.
I have toyed with the thought of doing a proper fuse file
system in the past as well, in particular as we have good
support for asynchronous smb[1,2,3] calls now. Unfortunately
we do not formally publish a fixed API exposing all these
features. So at this point you are a bit stuck with
searching and brwosing the code. I would start with
source3/client/client.c and follow the function calls that
it makes. smbclient does not use the published libsmbclient,
it goes directly into the internal APIs.

How familiar are you with tevent_req based async
programming? If that is new to you, I would recommend to
read tevent.samba.org, browse to the tevent_req module
there. tevent_req is the basis for all async programming we
do in Samba these days.

With best regards,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de