Upgrading from Samba 4 alpha12 to beta 8 problems

Mark Walker mark.walker at mobilefun.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 11:20:00 MDT 2012

Hi Michael,

No reason I didnt try with RC1 apart from the fact I couldnt seemingly get
it in tarball form. Maybe I wasnt looking hard enough.

Ah well at least I can rest easy with the GUID errors. Theres nothing
stopping me trying with RC1 as I have built the source to install into a
version specific prefix so I can roll back without issue and not being
chaos to the office!

Cheers,
Mark Walker

On 28 September 2012 17:50, Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 September 2012 18:32, Mark Walker <mark.walker at mobilefun.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Have just reverted from our upgrade from samba 4.0.0 alpha12-GIT-dbbbc7d
> > beta 8 having had a couple of show stopping problems running the new
> > version.
>
> Any reason you didn't try with RC1 instead of beta 8?  I don't know if
> it will work any better for you, though.
>
> > Prior to starting the new version I ran "samba-tool dbcheck --fix" which
> > gave a very large (1000+)  of missing GUID errors all of which I opted to
> > fix.
>
> That's expected.
>
> > I was unable to use the RSAT tool  "Active Directory Users and Computers"
> > and was presented with the error
> >
> > *Naming information cannot be located; Server not operational.*
> >
> > Finally shared printers on client machines appeared to be be non working
> > too.
> >
> > Weirdly despite all of this file serving seemed to work ok!
> >
> > The Server is running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice for upgrading from such an early release? I
> > notice the samba 4 wiki states this version was not released. We appear
> > be running a git copy as you can all see.
> >
> > The global section of the configuration is attached with the only changes
> > section from old versions config being to ensure we continue to use the
> > NTVFS fileserver:
> >         server services = +smb -s3fs
> >         dcerpc endpoint servers = +winreg +srvsvc
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Mark Walker
>
> --
> Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>

--
Regards,
Mark Walker

Mobile Fun is a private limited company registered in England & Wales under
registration number 03914470. The company’s registered office is at Unit
16, Network Park, Duddeston Mill Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, B8 1AU,
UK.