Backing up samba4

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Sep 19 11:32:16 MDT 2012

On 19/09/12 19:04, Ricky Nance wrote:

> Steve, you are correct with that, it will work fine. I think what most
> people want is to not have to stop samba first though, the initial
> question indicated this, if I read it correctly. There are likely
> things missing in the backup script for acls and extended attributes
> so keep that in mind when backing up. Both getfacl and getfattr can
> export all your acl/xattr info into a file as well.
>
> Good luck,
> Ricky

Hi Ricky
Thanks for that. I suppose the moral of the story is to do backups at 3
am when no one is around. In fact it only takes a few seconds to do the
backup. If there's anyone still there at 3 am, give them a coffee break.

So thats
1.stop samba
2.rsync it
3.delete /usr/local/samba/
4. rsync it
But take a look at this:
5. Pick a file and getfacl it

On OpenSUSE 12.2 the permissions and the acl's are _exactly_ the same.
On Ubuntu lts the acl's have been lost. You can see this at a glance
because you do not get the + at the end of a la -l directory listing.

Cheers,
Steve