Backing up samba4

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Sep 19 07:27:48 MDT 2012

On 19/09/12 12:01, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 19.09.2012 11:51, schrieb Rowland Penny:

> At least for the sysvol folder you should know, that the tar command
> from the script doesn't backup the filesystem extended ACL.

Mmm. tar doesn't do it I agree. But what about something like rsync -auz?

If you have just a single DC, how about rsyncing the whole of
/usr/local/samba to another disk or partition that supports acls's and
restoring from that?

I just did it on a test LAN. I deleted /usr/local/samba and rsynced it
back. samba fired up fine. xp and w7 clients could log in and GPO's were
respected.

What is the problem in doing this? It works with openSUSE 12.2. It fails
with ubuntu lts.

Maybe I've just been lucky this time.

Cheers,
Steve