Backing up samba4

Marc Muehlfeld Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de
Wed Sep 19 04:01:36 MDT 2012

Am 19.09.2012 11:51, schrieb Rowland Penny:
> I have run 'samba-4.0.0rc1/source4/scripting/bin/samba_backup' after creating
> /usr/local/backups. I now have three files in /usr/local/backups, two of these
> are easy to deal with, just copy their contents back to where they come from.
> The third is a bit different, samba4_private contains the backups created by
> tdbbackup, these files end in .ldb.bak. If I just copy the contents of
> samba4_private back into place, I will end up with, for instance, hklm.ldb &
> hklm.ldb.bak, what do I do now?
> Is it just as simple as ensuring samba is not running, then deleting hklm.ldb
> and renaming hklm.ldb.bak to hklm.ldb, or is there something else I need to do.

At least for the sysvol folder you should know, that the tar command from the
script doesn't backup the filesystem extended ACLs. If your tar command
supports '--xattrs', you should add to the tar command(s) in the script to
include the ext. ACLs. If your version of tar doesn't support this, maybe you
can use star.

Regards,
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (IT-Leiter)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin