On treating this list and the Team with respect

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 14 12:33:58 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 14:34 +0200, steve wrote:
> On 14/09/12 01:27, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 01:18:35AM +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> >> On 2012-09-13 20:46, steve wrote:
> >>

> > Kai,
> >
> > 	Don't let "steve" get you down. I used to take him seriously,
> > but came to realize he's the most useful kind of troll. He'll complain
> > bitterly about *everything*, but he has to keep taking whatever abuse
> > we throw at him because he has literally no where else to go :-).
> >
> > So that means whatever goes wrong he'll keep running it and testing
> > it for us because otherwise what else would he do with his time ?
> >
> > :-).
> >
> > Jeremy.
> >

> Hi Jeremy. We feel that a very unfair comment. steve is not a person but
> a group of individuals striving to take recycled computers where they've
> never been before. e.g. Third world hospitals where kids can play games
> and the admin can decipher word documents.

> That's all. Rather than trolls who have to help you, look upon us not
> trolls who want to help you. Many would not even dare to post the
> questions which we post here for fear of a rebuke such as this.

Steve,

Your singular or non-singular status does not change the fact that you
do need to look much more closely at your own behaviour on this list.

Please do not ignore the rebuke you have been given here.  Instead,
perhaps have another of your colleagues read and consider each mail you
propose to send.

We value goals such as yours - indeed it is what drives many of us and
gives us the passion that brings you the Samba project - but you also
need to help us.  You need to understand that our time is not your time,
and that your collective behaviour has made it harder for us to produce
the great software that you so dearly want to have.

Finally, I'm glad to hear you have a test lan.  With the great variety
of possible configurations Samba can be built and used it, it is
important to test it before putting it in production.  That would also
be a great place to practice downgrading Samba when a new release that
you tested doesn't work quite as well in production as you might have
hoped.

Thanks,