samba 4 rc1: internal dns

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Fri Sep 14 08:54:56 MDT 2012

On 14/09/12 15:29, Ricky Nance wrote:
> Aggravating... /etc/resolv.conf
> On Sep 14, 2012 9:27 AM, "Ricky Nance"<ricky.nance at weaubleau.k12.mo.us>
> wrote:
>
>> Phone auto corrected that... /etc/resolve.conf
>> On Sep 14, 2012 9:26 AM, "Ricky Nance"<ricky.nance at weaubleau.k12.mo.us>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For the initial join you just need to make sure that your
>>> /etc/resolved.conf is pointed at your main AD DC. After that samba can be
>>> configured with internal DNS. Look back on the list a few days for more
>>> info on it, documentation is being worked on. Remember if you are using the
>>> git version that you are using 'cutting edge' code, so documentation may
>>> not quite keep up with it :-) .
>>>
>>> Ricky

Hi, if you provisioned RC1 without stating which dns server you want,
you get the internal one, but there is a couple of gotcha's. It seems to
set the forwarder to (I believe) what ever is in /etc/resolv.conf (jump
in here if I am wrong) and the internal dns server DOES NOT LISTEN on
127.0.0.1 . You can fix this by adding the line 'interfaces = 127.0.0.1
192.168.0.5' to /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf ( where 192.168.0.5 is the
ipaddress of the AD server). It would seem that all the configuration is
done in smb.conf.

Rowland

believed to be clean.