lock directory / wins

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Sep 12 03:45:39 MDT 2012

Hi Marc,

On 2012-09-12 at 07:46 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 12.09.2012 03:26, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> >There is a way to disable the nbt server, and enable nmbd, and it will
> >mostly work, but I'm trying hard to avoid having such a divergence of
> >different supported, official configurations (as I'll need to support
> >the result).
>
> I understand and respect it fully, that you don't want to support
> divergences.
>
> Then I'll tell the users later, that they have to abadon the next time on
> browsing through the network neighbourhood and have to call '\\servername'
> instead, to access unmounted shares. I just thought that maybe there's a
> way to get the browsing back by delegating this job to a s3 member server.

There is a way, as Andrew has briefly mentioned. Not really
tested, and requires some handwork, but maybe you should give it a try:

* disable the netbios service in samba (4),
  i.e.  add -nbt and -wrepl (more?) to "server services"

* start nmbd

Note that nmbd is not automatically started by samba, but
this setup might work sufficiently well for you.

The alternative would be to finish the implementation of
the netbios browsing service in the samba daemon.

> Do you have an idea on my 'lock directory' problem, too?
>
> > 1.) I copy/pasted "lock directory = /usr/var/locks/" to my
> > new smb.conf after migration, what was not wanted. This was
> > the s3 lock directory. Now it is mixed up with the new
> > files. Can I just remove the "lock directory" parameter
> > from smb.conf?
> > Or are this just temporary databases that can get lost?
> >
> > This are the files in /usr/var/locks/ that changed since
> > saturday morning (where I made the switch from s3):

This is in principle an important non-temporary database for
samba3:

> > secrets.tdb

But I need to check whether it is used at all in the
migrated server. This should land in the private directory.

The follwing are all temporary databases that
can be removed:

> > smbXsrv_version_global.tdb
> > gencache_notrans.tdb
> > dbwrap_watchers.tdb
> > notify.tdb
> > notify_index.tdb
> > brlock.tdb
> > printer_list.tdb
> > messages.tdb
> > serverid.tdb
> > smbXsrv_session_global.tdb
> > sessionid.tdb
> > smbXsrv_tcon_global.tdb
> > connections.tdb
> > smbXsrv_open_global.tdb
> > locking.tdb
>
> Can I just remove the "lock directory" parameter, move the listed files to
> /usr/local/samba/var/lock/ (I think this is the default location for that,
> right) and restart the services?

Yes, I think you can remove the lock directory parameter.
The temporary dbs can simply be ignored.
And I think the upgrade has already taken care
of the secrets database. You should find a secrets.tdb and
a secrets.ldb under /usr/local/samba/private/

Other persistent databases are passdb.tdb, group_mapping.tdb,
account_policy.tdb, and registry.tdb.

The first three have been taken car of by the migration,
and the registry is not so important in most cases, unless
you have stored samba-config in it or use printing.
If that is the case, you should also put the registry under
/usr/local/samba/var/locks/

Cheers - Michael