Default DNS server for Samba 4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 11 05:42:39 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 18:52 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 00:03 +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
>
> > Since I assume changing the default after the RC1 is even less of
> > an option, can we release the RC1 before we have settled this
> > discussion?
>
> Michael:
> I don't think we need to let it come to this.
>
> Kai: I'll write any required tests, run a wintest, propose/make any of
> the required ACL changes to the dns server you don't manage find time
> for, and as I'm certain Matthieu's concerns about maintainer-ship can be
> addressed, change the default before RC1.

Kai:
Given that testing is very much under way, I'm happy for us to switch,
and hopefully Michael will have the time to do that today.

Thank you very much for the effort you have put into testing so far.
I'm confident we can finish it soon.

To be clear, I think we shouldn't do such a switch by half-measures.  We
should switch the default in the smb.conf as well.  The rationale is
simply that for the simple site, I want a simple smb.conf.  The
'complex' site is that using dlz, which requires external co-ordination,
and for those sites (and existing provisions!) we should simply set and
document 'server services = -dns'.

That said, part of what makes me confident about the switch is that
'allow dns updates = False' is the default, and this gives us a little
more breathing room while we finish this code (see my other patch).  I
do wish I had taken the care to understand this detail earlier.

I'm right out of time before RC1 tomorrow, so if anyone else has time
for extra testing of this (eg wintest) that would also be great.

Thanks,