ForestDnsZones partition and TrustAnchors zone problem

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Mon Oct 1 19:37:59 MDT 2012

On 10/01/2012 03:35 PM, Samuel Cabrero wrote:
> [...]
>
> This issue is more annoying than it seems because this TrustAnchors
> zone is automatically created each time that the server properties
> window is opened in the windows DNS management tool. If you right
> click in the server name and select properties, then select the Trust
> Anchors tab and click Ok button without make any changes, the zone is
> created again, replicated to samba4 and the problem is back.
>
> I don't know if it is related, but the zone have two dots prepended to
> the name when replicated to samba:
>
> root at s4dc1:/home/zen# samba-tool dns zonelist s4dc1.kernevil.lan
>   3 zone(s) found
>
>   pszZoneName                 : kernevil.lan
>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   Version                     : 50
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
> DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>
>   pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.kernevil.lan
>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   Version                     : 50
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
> DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>
>   pszZoneName                 : ..TrustAnchors
>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   Version                     : 50
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
> DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>

> root at s4dc1:/home/zen# samba-tool dns zonelist windc1.kernevil.lan
>   3 zone(s) found
>
>   pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.kernevil.lan
>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   Version                     : 50
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
> DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>
>   pszZoneName                 : kernevil.lan
>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   Version                     : 50
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
> DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>
>   pszZoneName                 : TrustAnchors
>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   Version                     : 50
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
> DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.kernevil.lan

I did a small search on my server and I have this:

./bin/ldbsearch -H ldap://172.16.100.49 -Uadministrator%totoTATA123 -b
DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=w2k12,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net dn  | grep -i trust
dn:
DC=..TrustAnchors,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=w2k12,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
dn:
DC=@,DC=..TrustAnchors,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=w2k12,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
mat at mpatou-t420:/usr/local/src/samba$ ./bin/samba-tool dns zonelist
172.16.100.49
Password for [WORKGROUP\mat]:
Interrupted by signal.
mat at mpatou-t420:/usr/local/src/samba$ ./bin/samba-tool dns zonelist
172.16.100.49   -Uadministrator%totoTATA123
   3 zone(s) found

   pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.w2k12.home.matws.net
   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
   Version                     : 50
   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.w2k12.home.matws.net

   pszZoneName                 : TrustAnchors
   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
   Version                     : 50
   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.w2k12.home.matws.net

   pszZoneName                 : w2k12.home.matws.net
   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
   Version                     : 50
   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
   pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.w2k12.home.matws.net

The server is Windows 2012 server, so it means that in the database the
record are saved in the ..TrustAnchors format but that windows in
returning them cleaned.

> I would be happy to provide as much debug info as you need to help to
> solve this issue.

Can you try to create another zone with the windows tools (ie
foobar.lan) wait for it to be replicated to samba and then restart bind.

If everything is ok then it means that we "just" to have to skip the
trustanchors from being loaded + fix the samba-tool dns output.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team