ForestDnsZones partition and TrustAnchors zone problem

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 21:14:36 MDT 2012

Hi Matthieu/Samuel,

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> opened in the windows DNS management tool. If you right click in the server
>> name and select properties, then select the Trust Anchors tab and click Ok
>> button without make any changes, the zone is created again, replicated to
>> samba4 and the problem is back.
>>
>> I don't know if it is related, but the zone have two dots prepended to the
>> name when replicated to samba:
>>
>> root at s4dc1:/home/zen# samba-tool dns zonelist s4dc1.kernevil.lan
>>   3 zone(s) found
>>
>>   pszZoneName                 : kernevil.lan
>>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
>> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>>   Version                     : 50
>>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT
>> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>>   pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>>
>>   pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.kernevil.lan
>>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
>> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>>   Version                     : 50
>>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT
>> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>>
>>   pszZoneName                 : ..TrustAnchors
>>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
>> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>>   Version                     : 50
>>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT
>> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>>

>> root at s4dc1:/home/zen# samba-tool dns zonelist windc1.kernevil.lan
>>   3 zone(s) found
>>
>>   pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.kernevil.lan
>>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
>> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>>   Version                     : 50
>>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT
>> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>>
>>   pszZoneName                 : kernevil.lan
>>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
>> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>>   Version                     : 50
>>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT
>> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>>   pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.kernevil.lan
>>
>>   pszZoneName                 : TrustAnchors
>>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
>>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>>   Version                     : 50
>>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT
>> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.kernevil.lan

Since we are not interpreting any records in ..TrustAnchors zone yet,
that zone can be ignored by DLZ plugin and also by RPC dnsserver.
samba-tool dns commands work against the RPC dnsserver.

> I did a small search on my server and I have this:
>
> ./bin/ldbsearch -H ldap://172.16.100.49 -Uadministrator%totoTATA123 -b
> DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=w2k12,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net dn  | grep -i trust
> dn:
> DC=..TrustAnchors,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=w2k12,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
> dn:
> DC=@,DC=..TrustAnchors,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=w2k12,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
> mat at mpatou-t420:/usr/local/src/samba$ ./bin/samba-tool dns zonelist
> 172.16.100.49
> Password for [WORKGROUP\mat]:
> Interrupted by signal.
> mat at mpatou-t420:/usr/local/src/samba$ ./bin/samba-tool dns zonelist
> 172.16.100.49   -Uadministrator%totoTATA123
>   3 zone(s) found
>
>   pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.w2k12.home.matws.net
>
>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   Version                     : 50
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT
> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.w2k12.home.matws.net
>

>   pszZoneName                 : TrustAnchors
>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   Version                     : 50
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT
> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.w2k12.home.matws.net
>
>   pszZoneName                 : w2k12.home.matws.net
>
>   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
> DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   Version                     : 50
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT
> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.w2k12.home.matws.net
>

> The server is Windows 2012 server, so it means that in the database the
> record are saved in the ..TrustAnchors format but that windows in returning
> them cleaned.
>

>> I would be happy to provide as much debug info as you need to help to
>> solve this issue.
>>
> Can you try to create another zone with the windows tools (ie foobar.lan)
> wait for it to be replicated to samba and then restart bind.
>
> If everything is ok then it means that we "just" to have to skip the
> trustanchors from being loaded + fix the samba-tool dns output.

The patches for DLZ and RPC dnsserver are in the master branch and are
also attached with this email.

    http://git.samba.org/amitay/?p=amitay/samba.git;a=summary

Samuel, can you test with the patches and confirm that BIND does not crash?

Thanks.

Amitay.