Experience with migration from samba3 to samba4 and ovirt tests

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 13 13:49:25 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-13 at 17:02 +0100, Alejandro wrote:
> I use the samba-tool domain samba3upgrade to move from samba3 ldap to
> samba4. All was ok, but when I was triing to add domain to a Ovirt 3.1
> Engine I find that no user has a UPN (UserPrincipalName) attribute.
>
> Ovirt use UPN in the ldap search to find the username with the usual format
> LOGIN at DOMAINFQDN, but I find me forced to use a ldap tool to add the UPN
> attribute to the needed users.
>
> Is a problem with migration or Samba4 don't create the UPN attrbute?

I've had folks mention this before, but I'm not aware how we are any
different to a windows AD DC in this regard.  If you can show me how we
differ, we can fix this up.

Why does it have to do a search?  Against AD, if you are doing 'ldap
authentication' you can just log in with user at domain.com as the 'bind
DN'.