./configure.developer and Samba 4.0 pre-releases

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 30 16:34:36 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 17:04 -0400, Charles Tryon wrote:
> Quick question:  You mention here using the "./configure" command, but
> the HOWTO and everything else I've seen up to this point recommend
> using "./configure.developer".  Is this still the recommendation, or
> is it better to just use "./configure" if you really aren't doing
> development (which includes, debugging, testing and general mucking
> around with stuff you aren't sure yet if it works....)

G'day,

The main reason we recommend ./configure.developer in the HOWTO is that
if it crashes, the debugging symbols from --enable-debug will be
valuable.  Also, while it isn't in the howto, make test relies on
--enable-selftest.  Both these modes are turned on by --enable-developer
(which is what ./configure.developer does).

For productions use, ideally neither will be required.  That said, we
may ask for a rebuild with --enable-debug at least if it crashes, or ask
to rebuild with ./configure.developer and run make test if you get
inexplicable results.

I hope this clarifies things,