When was 'session setup' introduced? (propose to change server-side min protocol to match)

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Wed May 30 10:42:19 MDT 2012

On 05/30/2012 10:52 AM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 03:57:40PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>> We might need to revive the code and fix bugs, but many
>>> people will be very unhappy about that. The problem is that
>>> there are still disk imagers in use that are dos-based,
>>> fetching the restore images from SMB via the ancient ms-tcp
>>> dos redirector.
>>
>> When I last used the DOS SMB client (yes, I've used it for imaging too),
>> it was using a modern enough protocol version to be logging in with a
>> username/password.
>>
>> Do you have a network trace of a failing case?
>
> I think you are correct here. The last time I used the DOS
> client it did indeed do a sessionsetup call.

Many of the OS/2 LAN Manager dialects had DOS equivalents, so I don't think
that there will be problems with DOS-based systems.  The DOS version of the
LAN Manager 1.0 dialect was "MICROSOFT NETWORKS 3.0", and the DOS version of
LAN Manager 2.1 was "DOS LANMAN2.1".

It is worth noting that the Core Protocol does not define the Flags field
and does not even set the Reply bit in the SMB response.  Wireshark can't
properly parse an SMB Core Protocol exchange, because it is expecting that
Reply bit.  I doubt that anyone is using Core Protocol in production.

I have been in contact recently with someone who is, for research purposes,
testing the original DOS redirector (thanks, Michal!).  It still runs in
modern DOS systems and Windows still supports it properly.  I have a trace
or two, and I could ask whether or not it runs correctly against Samba.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org