RPC Error - Samba 4

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Mon May 28 11:57:49 MDT 2012

Am 28.05.2012 03:19, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 15:42 -0400, Ryan Whelan wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is correct place for this- if not, forgive me.
>>
>> I followed the how-to to setup samba 4 (Version 4.0.0alpha22-GIT-e17fa58)
>> as a PDC.  I added a windows XP machine to the domain and created a share
>> on the new PDC machine (share called C$ if that matters).
>>
>> On the XP client, i right click on "My Computer" and click on "Mange".
>> When the MMC opens, I right click on the top of the tree, and select
>> "Connect to another computer".  In the field, I type in the hostname of the
>> new PDC and it connects immediately.
>>
>> When I expand "System Tools" -> "Shared Folders" and select "Shares" it
>> hands for a long time.  Eventually I get an error - "Error 1723: the RPC
>> server is too busy to complete this operation".  When I click OK on the
>> error window, the shares show up in the MMC just fine and i am able to
>> adjust permissions etc.
>>
>> Looking at the log.smbd, it is just flooded with the same error.
>> "[2012/05/25 15:09:45.774726,  0]
>> ../source3/rpc_server/rpc_ncacn_np.c:629(make_external_rpc_pipe_p)
>> tstream_npa_connect_recv  to /usr/local/samba/var/run/ncalrpc/np for pipe
>> MacFile and user SLAM\Administrator failed: No such file or directory". A
>> longer sample if helpful is here: http://pastebin.com/cBUD3wiu
>>
>> The log file was empty when i started samba- but the above error is in the
>> log so many times, the file is over 2.5Mb after it finally errors out.
>>
>> Is this a misconfiguration on my part?  The path
>> /usr/local/samba/var/run/ncalrpc/np DOES exist and is a dir.  It is full of
>> socket files.
>
> This isn't a misconfiguration, just the kind of extra thing we need to
> learn about with the new default 's3fs' configuration.
>
> We should regard the failure to find the MacFile pipe (which we have
> never heard of) as in the same way we have rejected invalid pipe names
> in the past.  Clearly we don't get that right.
>
> If you want to look into it more, you could look at the code in
> source3/rpc_server/rpc_ncacn_np.c and a network trace, and see if you
> can make it return a different error - for example, the same error
> Samba4 would give if not running in s3fs mode (comment out the 'server
> services' line and dcerpc endpoints lines in your smb.conf), or an AD
> server gives (if it also doesn't implement MacFile).

It's possible that I just pushed fixes for this to autobuild,
while fixing the problem that the s3 winbindd didn't work against
windows servers using SMB2. (We used a leading backslash in the pipe name,
which was accepted by s3 and s4 in autobuild, but not by windows).
I added some new torture tests for this...

metze