s3fs, setgid and NT ACLs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri May 25 00:28:06 MDT 2012

On 05/25/2012 06:39 AM, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 06:22 +0200, steve wrote:
>> On 05/25/2012 12:38 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>>> vfs objects =
>> Hi Andrew, hi everyone
>>
>> If we set
>>    vfs objects =
>> on the shares we want to have posix behavior, we get this:
>>
>> /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate: Unknown parameter encountered:
>> "vfs objects"
>> Could not determine hostname for target computer, cannot use kerberos
>>
>> vfs objects =  seems to have no effect. Posix settings such as chmod g+s
>> still seem to be ignored.
>> The second error is worrying even though it does not seem to be true.
> I think what Andrew was trying to tell you was to use:
>
>     vfs objects = name-of-appropriate-vfs-object
>
> eg,
>
>     vfs objects = posixacl

Hi Richard
Ah, I see. OK. Tried that but still no change in either the error
messages as a result of adding vfs objects to smb.conf nor in
understanding what g+s means.

BTW, this is with s3fs. Do I need to revert to ntvfs for posix acl's to
work?

s3fs also complains if I add things like create mode = 0770 or force
group = staff. The stuff I use to cure this under smbd (which does
understand posix acl's) in Samba3,  doesn't seem to be there in Samba4
at the moment.

Would it be possible for s3fs understand posix acl's which are set on
the underlying file system? Were that to be the case we wouldn't need to
have create mode and create mask stuff in smb.conf.

Cheers,
Steve