Preperation for Samba 4.0 beta1!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 24 05:48:37 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 13:38 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-05-24 13:10, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> >> Would it have hurt anybody to give a one-week warning instead of "I'll
> >> cut the beta tomorrow"?
> >
> > Yes, it does hurt actually, because as soon as we start waiting for one
> > more feature, we start stalling releases.  If we wait another week, and
> > then we wait a bit longer for ntdb to settle in, then we miss May
> > totally.  Another beta will be around soon enough - just let me know as
> > soon as you have a feature you would like released, and I'll take that
> > as encouragement to turn the crank again!
>
> Fair enough, it seems like I misunderstood release plans then.

Release plans are chaotic, but as we totally missed the 'beta1 at
SambaXP' thing, I would like to at least get it done now.

> >> There's no mention about the internal DNS
> >> whatsoever in WHATSNEW
> >
> > The only change I can see to the DNS server since the previous alpha20
> > is:
> > So, while I welcome changes and suggestions, I really don't know what
> > you would like mentioned.
>
> alpha20 was a security release, I didn't take the time to talk about new
> features there. Arguably I missed getting my changes in late March
> mentioned for the alpha19 in mid-April, so I guess I missed that window.
> Never mind then.

Thanks for understanding,

I've not really asked folks to do it before, but a reliable way to get
things into WHATSNEW is just to edit it in git.  Just change the release
numbers for the next release, and start putting in the things that are
important to you.

I typically rack my brain for the big things I remember folks doing that
would be noticed by our users, but I'm not very good at it.  That was
the primary reason for the heads-up tonight, to just catch thoughts
during my overnight.