Preperation for Samba 4.0 beta1!

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Thu May 24 05:38:01 MDT 2012

On 2012-05-24 13:10, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> The timing for this has been discussed for quite some time now.
> Additionally, Michael Adam in his thread "Moving forward towards
> releasing Samba 4.0" asked for a release in the next two weeks, two
> which I agreed.

Oh, sorry. I guess I was expecting something like the announcements
Karolin does when preparing a release. The "let's put out a samba 4.0
beta" thread has been cropping up a couple of times the last month, and
I wasn't aware that this one was more conclusive than the last ones.

> We have been talking about the ACL patches that landed last week as
> being the final blocker of a beta for quite some time.

I'm not saying the DNS work is a blocker for the beta. I don't recall
anyone ever said that.

>> Would it have hurt anybody to give a one-week warning instead of "I'll
>> cut the beta tomorrow"?
>
> Yes, it does hurt actually, because as soon as we start waiting for one
> more feature, we start stalling releases.  If we wait another week, and
> then we wait a bit longer for ntdb to settle in, then we miss May
> totally.  Another beta will be around soon enough - just let me know as
> soon as you have a feature you would like released, and I'll take that
> as encouragement to turn the crank again!

Fair enough, it seems like I misunderstood release plans then.

>> There's no mention about the internal DNS
>> whatsoever in WHATSNEW
>
> The only change I can see to the DNS server since the previous alpha20
> is:
> So, while I welcome changes and suggestions, I really don't know what
> you would like mentioned.

alpha20 was a security release, I didn't take the time to talk about new
features there. Arguably I missed getting my changes in late March
mentioned for the alpha19 in mid-April, so I guess I missed that window.
Never mind then.

> If we make the gap between alpha and beta releases too large, then we
> build up this 'just wait for me' need.  If instead we do them often,
> then we can all be confident is is not great drama to 'miss the boat' on
> one particular snapshot.
>
> I hope this helps you understand,

Your call, there. I just think the message a "beta" tag is giving our
users is different from the alpha releases. It certainly was for me. But
as you're managing the s4 releases until we hit RC1, it's your call.

As I don't have any relevant changes, I don't have any problem with a
tight timing for the release after all. Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin