Preperation for Samba 4.0 beta1!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 24 05:40:07 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 12:57 +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> Hi Kai and Andrew,
>
> Kai Blin wrote:
> > On 2012-05-24 11:58, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > I've pushed a WHATSNEW for Samba 4.0 beta1, and flipped the switch to
> > > make s3fs the default for new provisions.
>
> Thanks for doing that change!
>
> > > I would like to cut a beta tomorrow, once we sort out the krb5 ccache
> > > issue I'm working with ab on.  Please let me know if that would be a
> > > problem, and feel free to update/expand the WHATSNEW.
> >
> > I'm a bit unhappy about the short notice here.
>
> I agree with Kai that we should have a little more forerun.
> I was myself uncertain if it would have been too short noticed
> to propose wednesday (30 May) or thursday (31 May) next week
> for a beta1. Andrew: What do you think?

Part of the reason I want to do it tomorrow, is that I've got some work
things coming up, and I was hoping to have this task out of the way.

If the team does strongly object to doing a release tomorrow, then so be
it, but each time we re-schedule for non-technical reason it becomes
harder to just keep the pace of alpha/beta releases going.

Additional to the points I mentioned in my other reply, at this point I
honestly just don't know if I'll be able to do a release next week.

> Regarding the DNS server, I do care too, and find the internal one
> incredibly useful. So it should get mentioned. It does not seem
> like we will change the default for beta1, but I would strongly
> argue to move forward with it and maybe change the default in a
> later beta or rc1. Considering the latest mails on the list,
> the bind-dlz setup also has its problems. Kai: I would like to go
> over what needs to be done for the DNS server with you if we
> manage to find a time slot...

I do wish you both the best with DNS development.  If we can make it
work, the internal DNS server is a really neat idea.  But I have to be
frank, a good set of tasks (enumerated previously) needs to be done to
make a case for a change at this point (beta or not).  I'll personally
make my judgement on if to simply release with the internal server, or
to make a change in default based on looking at both options as they
are, at the time.

Of course, your additional assistance may be what manages to get the
momentum changed here, and show the long-term maintenance resource.  I
can look forward to seeing how that pans out.