Preperation for Samba 4.0 beta1!

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Thu May 24 04:30:02 MDT 2012

On 2012-05-24 11:58, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I've pushed a WHATSNEW for Samba 4.0 beta1, and flipped the switch to
> make s3fs the default for new provisions.
>
> I would like to cut a beta tomorrow, once we sort out the krb5 ccache
> issue I'm working with ab on.  Please let me know if that would be a
> problem, and feel free to update/expand the WHATSNEW.

I'm a bit unhappy about the short notice here. If a couple of people add
things to WHATSNEW, I'm not even convinced that all of the autobuilds
will finish in time. It's really hard do deal with "no communication" to
"deadline is right away" timing if you can't just go and drop everything
you're doing to work on the changes you need to get in for a release.
Would it have hurt anybody to give a one-week warning instead of "I'll
cut the beta tomorrow"? There's no mention about the internal DNS
whatsoever in WHATSNEW, and judging from the mails on this list I get
the impression that it's at least useful to some people, even if it's
not feature-complete yet. Especially in cases where BIND doesn't work
for whatever reason. But I don't have time to work on this right now, so
I doubt I'll make the deadline. I might be the only one who cares about
this, but I _do_ care. I know it was the same for the alphas, but a beta
release is supposed to be more than just a git snapshot, so not giving
people a heads up is really not what I consider playing in a team.

Kai

--
Kai Blin
Worldforge developer http://www.worldforge.org/