facing very slow authentication responses from samba4, urget help needed

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Mon May 21 23:23:55 MDT 2012

Hello Matthieu,

I have managed to improve responsiveness of the mail clients by
reducing the LDAP queries from Postfix. Actually there had been
an error in my config which resulted in a lot of useless querries.
But even with the reduced amount of queries it is not fast, compared
to the Windows server and I can see high CPU utilization by the
samba process whenever a LDAP query is done.

I did some debugging and found out that my postfix/LDAP setup seems to
be wrong. When sending a mail for example from a test mail account
test at novanetwork.de to test at hotmail.com the following LDAP queries are
sent to the domain controller(LDAP):

ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH:
(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(otherMailbox=test at novanetwork.de)))
SCOPE: sub DN: ou=HQ,dc=novanetwork,dc=loc

ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH:
(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(otherMailbox=@novanetwork.de)))

(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(|(mail=test at novanetwork.de)(otherMailbox=test at novanetwork.de))))

(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(otherMailbox=test at hotmail.com)))

(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(otherMailbox=@hotmail.com)))
SCOPE: sub DN: ou=HQ,dc=novanetwork,dc=loc

ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH:
(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(otherMailbox=test at hotmail.com)))
SCOPE: sub DN: ou=HQ,dc=novanetwork,dc=loc

ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH:
(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(otherMailbox=@hotmail.com)))
SCOPE: sub DN: ou=HQ,dc=novanetwork,dc=loc

ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH:
(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(otherMailbox=test at hotmail.com)))
SCOPE: sub DN: ou=HQ,dc=novanetwork,dc=loc

ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH:
(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(otherMailbox=@hotmail.com)))
SCOPE: sub DN: ou=HQ,dc=novanetwork,dc=loc

ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH:
(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(otherMailbox=hotmail.com)))
SCOPE: sub DN: ou=HQ,dc=novanetwork,dc=loc

ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH:
(&(!(isDeleted=TRUE))(&(objectclass=person)(|(mail=hotmail.com)(otherMailbox=hotmail.com))))
SCOPE: sub DN: ou=HQ,dc=novanetwork,dc=loc

This is a log before the change. As you can see not only the sender was
verified but also the
recipient. You can imagine that this took quite log when you had more
than one recipient.

Do you any other logging from the samba server ?

Thank you for your kind help

best regards

Andreas