[Samba4] Updating DNS via Admin Tools fails on PTR record

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at etinternational.com
Thu May 17 10:05:20 MDT 2012

Amitay / all,

On 05/16/2012 07:48 PM, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Brian C. Huffman
> <bhuffman at etinternational.com>  wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> So I've got samba4-alpha20 installed.  DNS integration with Bind 9.8.2 via
>> DLZ appears to be working (no named errors, newly added domain computer
>> shows up).  I also created a reverse zone to match my forward with
>> "samba-tool dns zonecreate"
>>
>> Now I'm able to use the DNS admin tools in Windows 7 to add another forward
>> record and it works fine.  But when I check the "Create associated PTR
>> record" box, I don't see anything either in the Windows admin tool (for the
>> reverse zone) or via nslookup.
>>
>> I see a lot of "Failed DNS update" messages in the samba logs, but I'm not
>> sure why.  Running /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --verbose seems to
>> run fine, without errors (although it shows that there's nothing to update).
>>
>> Here's an excerpt from my log.samba:
>> [2012/05/16 09:12:09,  0]
>> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294(dnsupdate_nameupdate_done)
>>   ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
>> NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
>> [2012/05/16 09:22:09,  0]
>> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294(dnsupdate_nameupdate_done)
>>   ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
>> NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
>> [2012/05/16 11:33:15,  0]
>> ../source4/rpc_server/dnsserver/dcerpc_dnsserver.c:1564(dnsserver_operate_zone)
>>

>> Any advise on how to troubleshoot?  Or is this known not to work at this
>> point?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
> Please check BIND log at the time when you get NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT in
> samba logs.
There is unfortunately nothing in the bind logs during this error message
> BIND does not automatically reload new zones. It loads the zones from
> Active directory on start up. So if you create any new zones, you need
> to restart BIND. DNS RPC server will automatically reload the zones
> after creating a new zone. So it should be visible from DNS admin
> tool. If it's not visible try creating new zone from DNS admin tool
> and check.
The DNS admin tool sees the reverse zone that I created.  The issue is
that when I create a forward A record and check the box to automatically
create the associated PTR record, it does not create it (can't even see
it in the DNS admin tool).

Yesterday it also failed with an error when I tried to create the PTR
manually (via the dns admin too).  Today that seems to be working
although it still does not automatically create the PTR like it should.

Regards,
Brian