[Samba4] Updating DNS via Admin Tools fails on PTR record

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Wed May 16 17:48:44 MDT 2012

Hi Brian,

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Brian C. Huffman
<bhuffman at etinternational.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> So I've got samba4-alpha20 installed.  DNS integration with Bind 9.8.2 via
> DLZ appears to be working (no named errors, newly added domain computer
> shows up).  I also created a reverse zone to match my forward with
> "samba-tool dns zonecreate"
>
> Now I'm able to use the DNS admin tools in Windows 7 to add another forward
> record and it works fine.  But when I check the "Create associated PTR
> record" box, I don't see anything either in the Windows admin tool (for the
> reverse zone) or via nslookup.
>
> I see a lot of "Failed DNS update" messages in the samba logs, but I'm not
> sure why.  Running /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --verbose seems to
> run fine, without errors (although it shows that there's nothing to update).
>
> Here's an excerpt from my log.samba:
> [2012/05/16 09:12:09,  0]
> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294(dnsupdate_nameupdate_done)
>  ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
> NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
> [2012/05/16 09:22:09,  0]
> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294(dnsupdate_nameupdate_done)
>  ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
> NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
> [2012/05/16 11:33:15,  0]
> ../source4/rpc_server/dnsserver/dcerpc_dnsserver.c:1564(dnsserver_operate_zone)
>

> Any advise on how to troubleshoot?  Or is this known not to work at this
> point?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Please check BIND log at the time when you get NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT in
samba logs.

BIND does not automatically reload new zones. It loads the zones from
Active directory on start up. So if you create any new zones, you need
to restart BIND. DNS RPC server will automatically reload the zones
after creating a new zone. So it should be visible from DNS admin
tool. If it's not visible try creating new zone from DNS admin tool
and check.

Amitay.