The TDB2 decision (ntdb?)

Ira Cooper ira at
Fri May 11 23:33:47 MDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Rusty Russell <rusty at> wrote:

> Here's the summary of what was decided with TDB2: please correct if this
> is wrong!
> (1) TDB2 will be used in Samba 4.0, introduced during/before beta.
>    => If it takes longer than 2 weeks, it won't make the first beta.
>    => Rusty will get autoconf tdb2 working.
> (2) TDB2 should not be backwards compatible with TDB1.
>    => Rusty to remove tdb1 compat code from tdb2.
> (3) TDB2 should be a separate library, not a version bump.
>    => You will be able to link against both.
>    => API names to change from tdb_* to <newname>_*
>    => Rusty to poll for a new name: ntdb?
> (4) SAMBA 4 will use the TDB2 on-disk format.
>    => You can use tdbbackup then tdb2restore to update (offline).
> (5) Volker (?) will look at expanding the db_wrap usage so that we can
>    potentially interchange tdb1 and tdb2.


On naming: Name it.  ntdb is +1, but, please name her, she's your kid.
 Don't let us.  We don't need the extra shed.

I also made a commitment to get it running in dev/test in our lab pretty
quickly.  (Defined by my time, but shouldn't be long after Volker's dbwrap
is done, if I remember all our commitments correctly.)



More information about the samba-technical mailing list