Feedback from Samba4/HOWTO

Matthew Jaggard samba at jaggard.org.uk
Fri May 11 02:14:27 MDT 2012

As suggested at the bottom of the Samba4/HOWTO page, I'm supplying my
feedback. Most is related to the information in the wiki that could be
clearer for a newbie or a generalist linux admin.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO

It would help to tell the user to remove old versions of samba before
starting.
I used:
sudo apt-get remove samba libpam-smbpass libwbclient0 samba-common
samba-common-bin samba-doc winbind

In step 7 give information on how to restart samba when it was started from
the command line (this would be easier if some init / upstart scripts were
included - there are some good scripts around, could they be installed in
the "make install" step?)

In step 8, regarding apparmor - the user needs to add the following line to
/etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.sbin.named
/usr/local/samba/** rmwk,

Also, the contents of /usr/local/samba/private/dns need to be readable and
writable by the user bind is running under.
chgrp bind /usr/local/samba/private/dns /usr/local/samba/private/dns/*
/usr/local/samba/private/dns/sam.ldb.d/*
chmod g+rwX /usr/local/samba/private/dns /usr/local/samba/private/dns/*
/usr/local/samba/private/dns/sam.ldb.d/*

An explanation of why "host -t A samba.samdom.example.com." should work and
what do if it doesn't.

When it says:
Open a command prompt, type 'ping servername.your.realm' (change to suit
your custom realm per your provision)
... I wasn't exactly sure what server name it means - is it the hostname of
the machine I'm on? Is it the NT4 machine name? (These are different for me
due to length of name)

Finally, I suspect this is the wrong place to post this, but I experienced
a problem when completing step 7 in the HOWTO.
I can't edit any group policies at all. I just get an error regarding
permissions when I try to edit the default one or any new one I create (I
am logged in as domain admin)
How can I debug this? What logs should I be looking at? Do I need to enable
more logging?

Many thanks, it was significantly easier than I thought it would be aside
from these few minor issues. I'm going to try using it in a small domain at
our church if I can get the GPO to work (that's most of the reason why I
want to use samba 4 instead of the stable version).

Mat.