My proposed path to a Beta for Samba 4.0

Matthieu Patou mat at
Sun May 13 11:35:37 MDT 2012

On 05/12/2012 11:18 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 17:56 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>> As I have mentioned before, we are very close to making a beta release
>> of Samba 4.0.
>> We haven't done betas of Samba for quite some time (the 3.x series
>> hasn't used alpha or beta releases since 3.0), so I should be clear what
>> I mean by a beta, as I seek concurrence or comment.
> Following up on the discussion, and trying to correctly summarise the
> other views I've seen in other threads:
>   - The beta will not wait for the TDB2 issue to be sorted, but this is
> being addressed as an urgent matter, and is expected to make beta2.
>   - Jeremy has promised to review my patches early this week.
>   - I need to work on making s3fs the default for new provisions
>   - Steve's particular issues are being addressed in Bugzilla with Jeremy
> Therefore I expect to make the release late next week.  If there are
> objections, or I've misunderstood, can make the next release (the first
> with s3fs) alpha21, but I really do think it is high time for a beta.
Yes that's good maybe make alpha21 the first one with --use-s3fs=yes by 
default, wait for a week or two of feedback and if no major crisis cut 

Note I'm not able to reproduce my problems with SIDs in the S-1-22-1 
range with current code and at least fresh provision.


Matthieu Patou
Samba Team

More information about the samba-technical mailing list