Sites and DNS

Kev Latimer klatimer at tolent.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 01:53:53 MDT 2012

On 27/03/2012 08:44, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-03-27 09:31, Kev Latimer wrote:
>
>> I manually ran samba_dnsupdate, initially prior to making any changes
>> just to see what correct output should be - it returned nothing so I
>> assume that's correct behaviour when no errors.  After renaming the
>> first site and creating a new site (probably should have only done one
>> or the other!) I get:
>>
>> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
>> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
>> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
>> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
>> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
>> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
>> Failed update of 6 entries
>>
>> How can I best debug this for you?  I'll try and get some better output
>> but if there's a specific thing I can do to get the most relevant
>> debugging, just let me know.
> If that's against the internal server, on debuglevel 2 you should be
> able to see the dns packets being parsed. FORMERR means that there's
> some disagreement on how DNS packets should look like between dnsupdate
> and the server, a level2 log will help us figure out which of the two is
> correct.
No probs, on it's way as soon as I've re-provisioned against master.

>> Ah, my bad.  I think I spotted earlier on the list you were prompting
>> people to use dns-wip so I assumed that was where the most functional
>> internal server was.
> That I do find a bit surprising, seeing how I'm the person working on
> the internal DNS server. :) Amitay has been working on the dnsserver RPC
> service and the dlz plugins, so maybe that's where the confusion comes
> from. In any case, if you run master, that makes it easier for all of us
> to help.
In that case, my additional bad, I've most likely misunderstood.  I
thought I had a handle on who was doing what re: dns but I think once
I've gotten the wrong end of the stick, I've most likely clung onto it!
No offence intended...

I'm just updating my git of samba-master now and I'll get you a debug
level 2 output of samba_dnsupdate as soon as I've re-provisioned and
repeated.

> Cheers,
> Kai
Cheers,