Sites and DNS

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Tue Mar 27 01:44:01 MDT 2012

On 2012-03-27 09:31, Kev Latimer wrote:

> I manually ran samba_dnsupdate, initially prior to making any changes
> just to see what correct output should be - it returned nothing so I
> assume that's correct behaviour when no errors.  After renaming the
> first site and creating a new site (probably should have only done one
> or the other!) I get:
>
> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
> dns_request_getresponse: FORMERR
> Failed update of 6 entries
>
> How can I best debug this for you?  I'll try and get some better output
> but if there's a specific thing I can do to get the most relevant
> debugging, just let me know.

If that's against the internal server, on debuglevel 2 you should be
able to see the dns packets being parsed. FORMERR means that there's
some disagreement on how DNS packets should look like between dnsupdate
and the server, a level2 log will help us figure out which of the two is
correct.

> Ah, my bad.  I think I spotted earlier on the list you were prompting
> people to use dns-wip so I assumed that was where the most functional
> internal server was.

That I do find a bit surprising, seeing how I'm the person working on
the internal DNS server. :) Amitay has been working on the dnsserver RPC
service and the dlz plugins, so maybe that's where the confusion comes
from. In any case, if you run master, that makes it easier for all of us
to help.

Cheers,
Kai

--