Sites and DNS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 26 16:39:26 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 16:40 +0100, Kev Latimer wrote:
> Afternoon all,
>
> This has had me rattling my head all day trying to figure out my best
> approach.

> It's been a couple of weeks since I did that last test with sites as
> I've been looking at DNS implementation - all with clean provisions and
> always latest git, first using bind9_dlz, then flatfile, then internal
> this morning (using Amitay's dns-wip git branch)  and now back to dlz.
> While going through both the DLZ and Internal structures through the DNS
> MMC, it seems to me that while the sites are showing up correctly in AD,
> this isn't reflected in DNS.  I've been reading through MS's docs on DNS
> in AD to make sure I'm reading it all right (I think I am) but I figure
> that if I add a new site, I should see it as
> _ldap._tcp.NameOfMySite._sites.MyActualDomainName.com
>
> I've tried asking it to resolve through "host" on a shell to see if it's
> a trick of the MMC but it seems no matter what I do with regards to
> changing the Default-First-Site-Name or adding new sites, DNS just
> doesn't change.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I've been staring at this for so long I'm going a
> bit mad or if this isn't supported yet?  I'm sure I read it was, but I
> do wonder if it's something that's supported as far as directory objects
> but not within directory-based DNS (dlz _or_ internal)?

Sites support in Samba is fairly new, and it does not surprise me that
you run into issues.  As I understand it, the DNS server shouldn't need
to know what the sites are - the clients should create DNS entries as
required.  But perhaps we are denying those updates, or something else
is going wrong.  Post some more details, and perhaps Amitay can look
into why it's not working.