Sites and DNS

Kev Latimer klatimer at tolent.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 09:40:34 MDT 2012

Afternoon all,

This has had me rattling my head all day trying to figure out my best
approach.

I'm wanting to stick a DC in each of our physical offices, as they're
all either side of WAN links.  I've set up and provisioned many tests
over the last 8 or so weeks (mainly to try any permutation I could think
of to find my "sweet spot") and once I had my initial DC provisioned I
created another 5 - one extra in the initial site and one in each
office.  Logically, I created 4 new sites in "AD sites and services" MMC
and renamed the Default-First-Site-Name to reflect the geographic region
of the original site.

First deployment had DRS issues, one of the DC's would repeatedly give
out errors no matter how many times I brought them back in sync but my
subsequent attempts seem to be quite happy.  Sites were shown properly
in the MMC and aside from not trying a client at a remote site, I was
happy that the implementation looked okay.

It's been a couple of weeks since I did that last test with sites as
I've been looking at DNS implementation - all with clean provisions and
always latest git, first using bind9_dlz, then flatfile, then internal
this morning (using Amitay's dns-wip git branch)  and now back to dlz.
While going through both the DLZ and Internal structures through the DNS
MMC, it seems to me that while the sites are showing up correctly in AD,
this isn't reflected in DNS.  I've been reading through MS's docs on DNS
in AD to make sure I'm reading it all right (I think I am) but I figure
that if I add a new site, I should see it as
_ldap._tcp.NameOfMySite._sites.MyActualDomainName.com

I've tried asking it to resolve through "host" on a shell to see if it's
a trick of the MMC but it seems no matter what I do with regards to
changing the Default-First-Site-Name or adding new sites, DNS just
doesn't change.

Can anyone tell me if I've been staring at this for so long I'm going a
bit mad or if this isn't supported yet?  I'm sure I read it was, but I
do wonder if it's something that's supported as far as directory objects
but not within directory-based DNS (dlz _or_ internal)?

Cheers,

Kev

--
Kev