ldap.py

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Mar 26 08:06:38 MDT 2012

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 08:31:19AM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
>> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>>> I've tried, but your tests in ldap.py are just too good!
>> Hmm...using a script/module name ldap.py is not a good idea since one might
>> run into a name clash with python-ldap which is nowadays installed on many
>> systems. It may work or it may not work...
> I don't see how is a problem. A script named ldap.py can't clash with
> python-ldap since you would be specifying the path to run the script. For a
> module, we would have to be *installing* it as a top-level module to be
> problematic.

It was just a hint. Might be true that it works for you now but later somebody
re-packages something and you get a name clash within sub-modules.

> If what you were saying was true, then Python programmers would
> constantly be worrying about their non-toplevel module names and
> scripts clashing with any possible top-level python modules that could
> possibly used *somewhere*. Fortunately that is not the case.

I already hit such cases myself. Of course there's no problem if you won't use
both modules at once and you can tweak your PYTHONPATH to suit your installation.

Just my two cents...

Ciao, Michael.