ldap.py (was: Constant time ObjectClass handling)

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Mar 26 07:27:02 MDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 08:31:19AM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I've tried, but your tests in ldap.py are just too good!
> Hmm...using a script/module name ldap.py is not a good idea since one might
> run into a name clash with python-ldap which is nowadays installed on many
> systems. It may work or it may not work...
I don't see how is a problem. A script named ldap.py can't clash with
python-ldap since you would be specifying the path to run the script. For a
module, we would have to be *installing* it as a top-level module to be
problematic.

During the test run, we add our own paths to the front of PYTHONPATH
for obvious reasons.

If what you were saying was true, then Python programmers would
constantly be worrying about their non-toplevel module names and
scripts clashing with any possible top-level python modules that could
possibly used *somewhere*. Fortunately that is not the case.

Cheers,

Jelmer