missing /usr/local/samba/private/dns

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Mar 9 15:59:32 MST 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 16:24 -0500, Greg Dickie wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Perhaps another stupid question but I'm trying to get bind9 DLZ to work
> but it throws an error about
> missing /usr/local/samba/private/dns/sam.ldb. in fact
> the  /usr/local/samba/private/dns does not even exist.
>
> The DC was created with domain join and I seem to have the DNS data in
> /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d but how to I get samba to create (and
> update) the DNS files? I read a thread that implied they can not just be
> copied and samba will need to keep them updated I suppose.
>
> I want to transition away from the windows DC.
>
> Any ideas?

What I think we need to do is extend
source4/scripting/bin/samba_upgradedns to cope with this situation.  In
your case, we need to create the account for BIND9 and the special dns
directory, but we don't need to create the actual partition.  This can
be detected based on inspecting the directory.

We should then put this into the tail of the join.py code.

Amitay,

As this is your script, do you have any further thoughts?

Thanks,